Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Meet the new Director of Education: Adam Rubin



Hello! My name is Adam Rubin and I am very excited to be joining the LANDMARK WEST! staff as Director of Education. For those that I've already met, thanks for the warm welcome, and I look forward to meeting more members of the LW! community over the next several months.
Before coming to New York, I worked on the west coast as Youth Outreach Coordinator at the Los Angeles Conservancy from 2007 to 2010.  As a native Angeleno, I really fell in love with my hometown through teaching kids, families, and the general public about the city’s incredibly vibrant and eclectic historic built environment.  I enjoyed my experience at the Conservancy so much that I decided to pursue my Master’s Degree in American Studies and Historic Preservation at the George Washington University in Washington D.C., which I completed in 2012.  I relocated to New York City after graduating and have worked at the Center for Architecture Foundation and at the Brooklyn Historical Society before starting at LANDMARK WEST! last week.
As summer winds down and a new school year begins, I look forward to engaging Upper West Siders (and fans of Upper West Side buildings) of all ages with their architectural heritage in new and inspiring ways.  I believe that the study of buildings and urban spaces not only helps kids and adults understand and appreciate the beauty and context of local architecture, but can also provide a unique lens through which we can begin to look at deeper issues of cultural identity, civic responsibility, and how to grow a healthy and engaged community over time.  Please come up and say hello the next time you see me at a LW! event!

No comments: